Rhythm Kids is an exciting music, movement, and drumming class where children integrate and assimilate rhythm into their lives, as they:
- Learn, create, discover and explore music, movement and drumming.
- Enjoy age-appropriate ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, tambourines, etc.)
- Explore traditional drumming patterns through animal names and movements.
- Experience drumming, song, and dance from around the world (Mali, Puerto Rico, Turkey, etc.)
- Find new ways to connect mind, body, and voice through rhythm.
- Develop skill in soloing, conducting, composition, and improvisation.
- Participate in active musical games that are both enriching and totally fun!
Rhythm Kids follows through on the Music Together® vision to help children complete the pathway of early childhood music development from birth through age 8. As part of the Rhythm Kids experience, children and their grownups can enjoy drumming play and practice sessions at home with the help of online play-along videos featuring Rhythm Kids creator Tom Foote.
There are two types of Rhythm Kids classes:
- Rhythm Kids 4-5 is the next musical step for your preschool child (ages 4–5) with a parent or caregiver.
- Rhythm Kids K-2 is for children in kindergarten to second grade (ages 5 through 8). Parents and caregivers are always welcome, but attendance is NOT mandatory!
Both Rhythm Kids 4-5 and Rhythm Kids K-2 include:
- Weekly, 45-minute classes
- Animal Collection Songbook and CDs (2 copies) each semester
- Access to online video tutorials and play-alongs
- Students will want to have their own hand drum for use at home and in class.
- Purchase a drum from Djembe Direct and use the code RHYTHMKIDS to receive 5% off. Shipping is free.
- A 9" x 18" djembe is recommended for Rhythm Kids K-2. Smaller drums are also available.